Bitcoins in India
Awareness about Bitcoins in India is spreading. Today we have more than 75000 users of Bitcoins in India. Indian exchange for Bitcoin Zebpay has crossed Rs 100 crores turnover (USD 16 million approx). This is just one exchange. We have Unocoin which is having similar turnover. Hence sale and purchase of bitcoins in India is no doubt growing. However this sale and purchase primarily has been for trading. Now efforts are being made to make use of bitcoins in purchasing everyday merchandise and services. But everyone is anxious to know what they can buy with bitcoins in India.
Where all you can use bitcoins!
The onus of spreading awareness about bitcoin will of course be with those who are already dealing with them specially the Bitcoin exchanges operating in India such as Unocoin and Zebpay. In fact they have taken the responsibility and have gone ahead in doing the needful.
How to make merchants across the country to accept Bitcoins :
- By going to individuals and offering them some platform to accept Bitcoins. Unocoin did this by launching “Unocoin POS” Mobile app both for android and iOS devices. See link : http://goo.gl/Em2Kdz
- By developing a platform which may offer vouchers of individual stores by accepting bitcoins. In this method you need not go to all stores asking them to accept Bitcoins. Unocoin has tied up with Mobikwik which now accepts Bitcoins and one can buy vouchers for different online stores. See link: http://goo.gl/M3pppy. Similarly Zebpay has tied up with several stores wherein Zebpay offers gift cards of the respective stores which can be bought using Bitcoins and later encashed at the respective stores.
Similarly Zebpay has tied up with different companies to accept Bitcoins. Now you are able to :
- Pay for your Airtime, DTH Bills, Data Cards with Bitcoins through Zebpay. Alternatively you can top up Mobikwik wallet and through Mobikwik you can pay for landline phone bills, cellphones, electricity, insurance, television/DTH, data cards/internet and even gas bills. Mobikwik is now connected with 75000 merchants across the country enabling common man to make payments for products / services using bitcoins.
- Buy Gift cards of Amazon, Flipkart, Makemy trip from Zebpay using Bitcoins. As such you are able to buy anything using Bitcoins since shops of Amazon and Flipkart will together cover every possible products. Besides Mobikwik is integrated with Domino’s Pizza, Pizza Hut, PVR, eBay, Zomato, Uber, Archies, GoDaddy, Barista, WHSmith India, Sagar Ratna, Cleartrip, IRCTC, Meru Cabs, Big Bazaar, Tasty Khana, OYO Rooms, Just Eat, HomeShop 18, Snapdeal, Naaptol, Shopclues, Fashionara, FashionandYou, Grofers, Myntra, Ferns N Petals, Yatra, Café Coffee Day and Pepperfry. Using Unocoin, you can buy anything from these merchants using Bitcoins.
- Unocoin has directly partnered with some online stores such as Sapna online – Online Book Store, Reload – online mobile recharge platform, Dharwad International School, eTravel smart – online Bus ticket booking portal, Flightshop – flights/holiday booking portal etc wherein you may pay with Bitcoins using Unocoin app.
I hope after going through above list, those who are possessing Bitcoins are feeling more comfortable since they are able to use bitcoins to purchase almost any product and services in India.
Yes they need to understand that they may not be able to use them over the counter but Bitcoin is a smart money, you have a smart phone in your pocket, USE IT SMARTLY